Food, drink, and all weapons are strictly prohibited from the building. Do not attempt to bring in any prohibited items. Leave these items at home or in your car. The court will not store prohibited items in the lobby for pick-up.
Court Appearance Attire
Municipal Court is a place of business and visitors should wear clean, fitted clothes.
A shirt and shoes are required.
Please take your hat off before entering any courtroom.
Unacceptable attire includes:
Shorts, cut-offs, baggy pants, flip-flop style shoes, or hats
Muscle shirts, T-shirts, clothing indicating gang affiliation or other clothing with offensive, vulgar, racist, sexist, obscene, suggestive words, slogans, depictions, or pictures
Shirts that are torn, dirty, and ragged
Provocative clothing designed, styled or worn to provoke emotion or disrupt or distract
Please observe the following guidelines when you are in the courtroom:
- Arrive early and be prepared
- Respect for the Court
- Turn off cell phones before entering the courtroom
- Gum chewing, tobacco, or newspapers are not allowed in the courtroom
- If you bring your children, have someone with you who can take the child out if he/she becomes loud or disruptive
- Address the judge as "Your Honor"
- Speak only when instructed or given permission
- Do not interrupt
- When you answer questions, be brief and to the point
- Answer the question you were asked and stop
- Do not argue, especially with the judge
- Use formal English, not slang
- Do not approach the judge’s bench without permission
- Do not enter or depart the courtroom excessively and do not slam the doors
- Be patient