Outdoor Dining Encroachment

The City of Columbia supports and encourages the public use and enjoyment of sidewalks, tree zones, and other right-of-way areas for outdoor dining in all entertainment districts; however, use of sidewalks and other public areas must be ADA compliant, safe for pedestrian and vehicular traffic, and meet established design guidelines.  City Council recently voted to streamline the process for Outdoor Dining Encroachments.  Applications are delegated to the staff level for review and permitting and no longer require City Council action.

Outdoor Dining Encroachment Permit Application Packet

Email completed application packet with required documentation to DevelopmentCenter@columbiasc.gov.

Temporary Encroachment

Utility Encroachment

The Department of Engineering processes applications for certain encroachment permits that have been submitted through the Development Center.

Encroachment Permits for any work to be performed in a road right-of-way located within the City limits are processed by staff of the Department of Engineering Administration Division and approved by the Director of Engineering.

City of Columbia Encroachment Permit Application

SCDOT Encroachment Permit Application

Liability, Hold Harmless, and Indemnification Agreement 

Lane Closure Encroachment

Temporary encroachment application


Permanent Encroachment

Contact Johnathon Chambers:  803-545-3206 or Johnathan.Chambers@columbiasc.gov


For additional information, please contact the Development Center at (803) 545-3483.